A couple years ago my dad gave me a big box of photos his own dad gave him after my grandmother died. I think I was the first to sort through the box.
Among the hodgepodge of unorganized snapshots:
- My grandparents and another couple at a Chinese restaurant in the 1960s.
- My grandfather, who served in Europe in World War II, in his Army uniform. He is small, with pronounced ears, and vaguely resembles Humphrey Bogart.
- A series of faded, ghostly shots from a formal dining table stacked high with china and with a woman in an A-line dress standing to the side. It looks like the bounty from a bridal shower. I think the woman is my grandmother, but it’s too blurry to know for sure.
- A girl (Dad thinks she’s his aunt) showing off an engagement ring to another girl (perhaps my grandmother).
- And, then… My grandmother – definitely my grandmother – wearing lingerie and posed seductively on a coffee table.
That last one caught me off guard. My grandmother posed for sexy photos? Did my grandfather take them??