Lily and I have needed some time for just the two of us.
So I took the day off work, and she took the day off fifth-grade, and the two of us took to the garden.
We planted 275 tulip bulbs, divided purple irises, pruned the echinacea and pulled up a bunch of weeds.
Here is what she learned, in her own words:
Three Things Learned About Gardening
1. With gardening, you have to have more topsoil to put atop the bulbs.
2. Inside a bulb, there is a smaller version (of the flower) that grows larger.
3. You must cut off parts of certain plants to make them grow back.
Three Things Learned From Gardening that Relate To Life
1. You have to have hope and faith that the flowers will grow along with (resolution to) many other sticky situations.
2. We are sort of like bulbs when it comes to being a small one and growing larger.
3. You should separate Lilys and irises and give them to friends as well as many other things in life.
Awesome kid. Beautiful day. Wonderful life.