This morning I woke up an hour earlier than usual and gave myself time to:
- Watch the sun rise. The sky is dark, then it’s gray, then it’s yellow, then it’s blue. Warm under a blanket, from my porch.
- Start dinner. Split peas are soaking and ready for soup when I’m home from work.
- Drink my own coffee. Not Starbucks. Not my coworker’s.
- Walk around my garden. Take pictures of the blooms that weren’t there last night, but have magically appeared this morning.
- Listen to music. Slow, soft. Sam Cooke, romantic Elvis. No need for anything drilling to get me going.
- Write. In my journal. This post.
I can rarely buy time for myself in the mornings, but it’s such a gift when I do. How about you? What would you do with 60 minutes of extra solitude?